About this image
Willielma, Viscountess Glenorchy , wife of John, Viscount Breadalbane, when travelling south in the Matlocks had to rest for a day and night due to her carriage breaking down. Whilst here she enquired after the spiritual welfare of the locals and did not like what she was told. In August 1784, a day after the above mentioned event, she organised the purchase of a chapel to seat 300 persons, which had been built near to the present Masson Mill at Matlock Bath. This was swept away by a road widening scheme in 1961. She resided in the area until the purchases were finalised and intended to continue living locally but ill health dogged her and she died a year later.