About this image
West Heanor is in the background.
Once the property of Miller Mundy family, the lords of the Manor of Shipley Hall and owner of Shipley Colliery Company. Once there were 3 coal mines, working 15 seams of coal and 30 railway sidings covering 176 acres in this vicinity. The Colliery came under the control of the National Coal Board in 1947 and had closed in the 1960's. In the early 1970's the parkland was bought by Derbyshire County Council opened the area as a country park in 1976, and later co-operated in the development of the 'Britannia' Theme Park. At the same time, much of the land was opencast for coal by KLF mining, then re-instated by the late 1980's as park and agricultural land. This picture was supplied by Derbyshire County Council, Shipley Country Park.