About this image
This bridge is at the junction of the Cromford Canal's Pinxton branch with the main line of the navigation at Ironville (despite the Codnor Park description on the original image).
The cottage has since been demolished. The Rogers family who also lived at Gin Stable on Golden Valley Road resided here at one time.
The Cromford Canal Company was formed in 1789 and commissioned by Parliament to make a navigation from Langley Mill to Cromford. They raised £46,000 to complete the construction and it opened later on in that year. Disaster struck when the lengthy Butterley Tunnel collapsed in 1900 isolating the northern section. Formally abandoned in 1944 (apart from a short stretch at the Langley Mill end), the waterway has since been severed in several other places, though water still remains from Cromford to Ambergate, a 5.5 mile stretch acquired by Derbyshire County Council for leisure and community use.
This view is a duplicate of PTPD000548..
Some of the information above supplied by website contributor Gwilym Roberts.