About this image
Bladen Castle is a red brick crenellated building perched high on Bladen Hill at the western edge of the village. It was built in c 1790 and converted by a Mr Abraham Hoskins (who was the son of a local solicitor) into a house. It was known as Hoskins folly, for it was mainly a facade, a frontage built for appearance rather than the real thing. The Architect may have been Wyatville (who had been responsible for Bretby Park), who was paid in 1799 for a design for 'Bladon Hill, Burton on Trent, for A Hoskins'. It is privately owned and now largely concealed from the main road by trees.