About this image
Now disused, Nutbrook canal opened in stages from 1793 to 1795. It was an independently-owned branch off the Erewash Canal and extended from Stanton to Shipley. It officially closed in 1896 but it ran through Stanton Works and was still used by the company after the rest of the canal had closed through coal mining subsidence. Construction of a new wharf at Stanton circa 1937, together with the installation of an overhead hopper on an adjoining railway bridge for loading slag, meant that only about 400 yards of the canal remained operational from the Erewash thereafter. Traffic on this remaining stub of the Nutbrook Canal ceased in 1949. Straw's Bridge was built c 1793-4 to carry Moorsbridge Lane (the later Derby Road) over the Nutbrook canal. It was named after one of the mid -19th century lockkeepers of the adjoining lock. The old bridge was removed in 1931 in the course of road widening and converted to a culvert.