About this image
The mine was sunk c 1895 by Mapperley Colliery Company. According to folklore it was known as 'Nibble'm' or 'Nibby' because of wage cuts made in early days. It closed on 7 July 1961. This view was taken from the north east, from the spoil heap, and includes the partly dismantled conveyor from the drift mine (left-foreground) and behind it West Hallam Railway Station with road overbridge. Stanley village can be seen in the distance. Most of the mine site lies in Dale Abbey parish.