About this image
This view shows the plaster works of the Trent Mining Company on the south bank of the River Trent, viewed from the north west.
Gypsum was brought by 2ft 2in narrow gauge railway from a mine at the foot of Cottagers Hill. There was also another adit a little further east. The mine was listed in 1874 and in 1877 an auction listed the mine and tramway with a steam locomotive. The mine went into care and maintenance in 1923 but was working again in 1933. Work ceased in May 1940. It is not known when steam working ceased but in 1933 a 4-wheeled Ruston diesel, works number 168790, was purchased and transferred to Gotham Glebe Mine when Thrumpton closed.