About this image
All Saints Parish Church stands in a commanding position on the hillside where the town started. The Church is broad and low and has an octagonal tower with a graceful spire. The bulk of the church as it stands now dates from the 13th and 14th centuries, though there are many fragments of Saxon and Norman Stonework to be found. It was considerably restored in the 19th century, when the nave was rebuilt. The south transept holds the Vernon Chapel with monuments to Vernon and Manners families, including splendid ones to John Manners and Dorothy Vernon, and Sir George Manners, father of the 8th Earl of Rutland , and his wife Grace. There is also a remarkable monument to Sir Godfrey Foljambe and his wife, in the south aisle, dated about 1377 and set in alabaster with coats of arms above. Outside the church is the remains of a Saxon Cross. The picture also shows, on the left, the old vicarage which is now used as a nursing home.