About this image
The Harrington Hunt crossing the wooden Wilne (or Wilne Ferry) Bridge over the River Derwent, prior to its collapse in 1936. Connecting Draycott and Church Wilne with Great Wilne and Shardlow, tolls were charged, the toll keeper residing in the house seen here on the left. Workers at the adjoining Wilne Mills (cotton) were exempt.
A replacement steel footbridge was opened in 1937 but this was closed in 1950 and it was not until many years later that Church and Great Wilne were connected again by a modern footbridge, the new structure being located much further downstream.