About this image
The Manor was erected around 1896 near the Smalley boundary by Mrs. Sacheverell Bateman, and is built in the Tudor style after the designs by Thomas Bodley Esq., A.R.A one of the most distinguished architects of the time. An artistic stone Pergola walk was designed by Sir Edward Lutyens. The stone for the house is reputed to have come from Wales.
IN 1914 the house was used for a time as a hospital for the wounded, and in 1938 it was sold, together with other parts of the estate. This was bought by Fitzwalter Wright family. In 1957 it was acquired by Dr. Barnardo's organisation to be used as a home for children and was still used for that purpose until recently.