About this image
'Snap', the Ireland Colliery Pit Pony, with her handler S W Hinchcliffe, after winning 1st prize in a competition in 1924. Ireland Colliery was owned by the Staveley Coal and Iron Company. It was opened in 1875 and linked to the nearby Hartington Colliery underground. As a part of the Ireland complex the collieries were able to produce more coal for the company than had been possible since its formation, the colliery ceased production in 1930 but was use as an egress for Ireland colliery.