About this image
Sampson and Barfoot on the corner was one of the oldest chemists in Chesterfield. A pharmacy is believed to have existed on this site since about 1750. The shop here was established in 1804 by Joseph Bettison. It continued as Bettison and Booth until c1885 when Messrs Sampson and Barfoot became the owners. Barfoot left the partnership and Mr Sampson was succeeded in c1926 by Mr F W Dutton. He ran the business until 1950. See also DCCC000860 and DCCC000859. This postcard is one of the 'Ivanhoe' series, reference 2541.