About this image
(Please note that this is a poor quality print of a drawing taken from periodical, which will not reproduce well). The original Town Hall (1750) is on the very left of the picture near the corner with Glumangate. It was built by the Duke of Portland. It housed a court room, prison cells and gaoler's house. It later became the N Derbys Bank. The coach in the background could be a passenger turnpike coach or a mail coach.