About this image
This is a postcard in the 'Peak Perfection Series', reference 1884. The Nine Ladies Stone Circle lies within a small circular bank. Nine upright stones (some actually leaning) lie on the inner perimeter of the bank, a tenth stone (prone) lies on the bank. Another standing stone, known as the King Stone, stands on its own to the south-east. It is one of a series of ancient monuments, built 3-4,000 years ago in the Bronze Age, which are spread across Stanton Moor. Bare patches in the grass and vegetation show that the monument is being eroded and survey has demonstrated that a staggering 12cm (5 inches) of soil has been eroded from some parts of the monument in the last 12 years. The natural, slow rate of erosion has been accelerated by wear caused by numerous visitors' feet. Illicit diggings and campfires have also taken their toll. The monument is under the direct Guardianship of English Heritage, whose job it is to preserve the monument for future generations.