About this image
A tennis match at the Pavilion Gardens in Buxton. The Pavilion Gardens, which were built by Edward Milner in 1871, lie behind the attractive Opera House (by Frank Matcham in 1903) in Buxton. Milner worked as Paxton's assistant for the erection of the Crystal Palace in London, and the design of the gardens is possibly based on his work here. Indeed, Pevsner believes that the Serpentine Walks were laid out by Paxton himself. The gardens were enlarged in 1875 with the octagonal Concert Hall by R R Duke.