About this image
View of River Gardens, Matlock Road, taken from landing stage. The River Derwent itself is to the right.
The Belper River Gardens (opened in 1906) had their own version of the 'Venetian Nights' in the early Twentieth Century. The fairy lights in the gardens at this event were candles in glass jars and small boys got in free for lighting these. Admission then was one penny; Geo. Herbert Strutt stipulated entry to the gardens must never exceed 1d and it is now free.
Tinted Valentines postcard reference: 58585.