About this image
Taken during World War Two - note the blacked out headlights from which only a narrow beam of light could escape.
The bus station was designed by Mr Charles Aslin, the Borough architect of Derby from 1929 to 1945. He redeveloped the central area of Derby to include a Bus Station, Open Market, River Gardens, Civic Courts, Swimming pool and a new Council House. It was opened on the 2nd October 1933.
The bus station was highly praised and is acknowledged to be the initial design for a drive in/out bus station that operated in the style of a railway station. Built of concrete using cantilever construction, this became the style that others were to follow.
The bus station became Derby's best and most popularly used example of 'Art Deco' architecture; it was demolished in c 2007 and has been replaced by a modern bus station.