About this image
Looking from the rise leading to Swanwick pit across Watchorn Park and Colliery Road, (the A38 was later constructed over the park). Colliery Road still exists but ends at the bypass and has been renamed Watchorn Lane. The brook in the foreground is known as the 'Horsewash'. The 'Horsewash' was named as so due to the horse sales that took place on King Street. This was the last place the horses could be 'Spruced Up'. The land to the right was the bottom section of George William Willmer's farm in the early 1920.