About this image
Chinley village, situated on the western edge of the Peak National Park, was part of the Royal Forest of the Peak, and probably consisted of a few isolated farms until the 17th century. The oldest building in the surrounding area is the Elizabethan hall built at the nearby hamlet of Whitehough by the Kyrke family at the end of the 16th century (now the Old Hall Inn). Some of the local farms are also very old. In 1711, Charles Wesley stayed at Chinley End Farm, which still stands in Lower Lane. In fact Wesley, the founder of the Methodist faith, was a regular visitor here and preached often at nearby Chapel Milton. The industrial revolution affected the area with the construction of three mills along the Blackbrook which runs through the village, followed by the Peak Forest tramway in 1799 - a crude railway which used horse-drawn wagons to carry stone from the quarries at Dove Holes to the canal at nearby Bugsworth (completed in 1806). However, it was the arrival of the railway in 1867 and its later extension in 1901 to carry trains to Sheffield which made Chinley grow rapidly, and in the early years of this century it was an important railway junction and a regular stopping-point for trains at weekends. The modern village contains many Victorian houses, built for wealthy commuters who took the train to Manchester every morning. However, the railway is a shadow of its former self, with the London line closed since 1970 and the Manchester to Sheffield service is now much reduced. The centre of the village has a good range of shops, a pub called The Squirrel, a bowling green and numerous social centres - the Conservative Club, Liberal Club, Womens' Institute and the Chinley and Buxworth Centre.