This image can be used commercially
Ex-GCR railway bridge over River Trent, The Meadows, Nottingham, c 1975
Courtesy of George Rowland
About this image
The disused bridge that carried the former Great Central Railway Sheffield - Nottingham Victoria - London Marylebone main line over the River Trent between The Meadows and Wilford. Built to carry four tracks, this massive structure was completed in 1899 and comprised three 112-foot girder spans with arched blue brick approaches at either end (three to the north and seven to the south), plus a further girder span of 66-feet over the adjoining Victoria Boulevard. The total length of the bridge was 830-feet, the 2,000 tons of steelwork required being fabricated by the Manchester firm of Heenan and Froude. Passenger trains ceased to use the line in 1969 and the bridge saw its final freight working in 1974. It was demolished in 1985. This view is from the Victoria Embankment and shows the river in flood.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IMAGE IS REVERSED - IT WILL BE CORRECTED SHORTLY.