This image can be used commercially
Disused ex-GCR bridge over Kirke White Street East, The Meadows, Nottingham, c 1975
Courtesy of George Rowland
Kirke White Street East
About this image
The disused bridge carrying the former Great Central Railway main line over Kirke White Street East. Opened in 1899, the last train ran in 1974 after which the course of the railway through the area was completely eradicated as part of the clearance and redevelopment of The Meadows district. Already in this view, which is looking west towards Queen's Walk, all the houses have been demolished and a start made on the railway arches. Beyond the bridge span, the junctions with Blackstone Street and Annesley Street can be detected. Once the redevelopment was completed nothing in this picture remained, not even the existing street pattern (this view is worth comparing with NTGM007250, taken only a couple of years earlier). The car parked in the foreground is a Morris Traveller, an estate version featuring ash-framed rear bodywork of the classic Morris Minor.