This image can be used commercially
Junction improvements at the corner of Limb Lane and Hathersage Road, Dore, South Yorkshire, c 1940s
From collection of F H Brindley
Brindley, F H
c 1940s ?
About this image
Looking south-west with Limb Lane on the left and Hathersage Road climbing away to the right. It appears that the existing stone wall at the junction is being repositioned further back, presumably to improve visibility, Hathersage Road being a principal Sheffield to Manchester route (the A625) with Limb Lane connecting it to Dore village.
Behind the wall is the private premises of the Balfour Sports Club, while the hut with the curved roof is a City of Sheffield police box, one of 120 to this design introduced in 1928 by the then Chief Constable, Percy J Sillitoe. Installed at strategic locations, they were painted in a green and white livery and provided a point of contact for policemen walking the beat, a telephone for use by both the police and the public, a shelter in inclement weather and a base for meals and report writing.