This image can be used commercially
The Roundhouse and Norfolk Arms, Ringinglow, South Yorkshire, c 1940s ?
From collection of F H Brindley
Brindley, F H
c 1940s ?
About this image
Looking north from Houndkirk Road towards the junction with Ringinglow Road, with The Roundhouse on the left and the Norfolk Arms beyond.
Ringinglow Road was constructed in 1758 as part of a turnpike linking Sheffield and Chapel-en-le-Frith and The Roundhouse (which is actually octagonal in plan) was originally a toll cottage controlling a gate (or bar) at the Houndkirk Road junction. It dates from 1778. The Norfolk Arms (earlier the Ringinglow Inn) is somewhat later and was a coaching inn built around 1840. Both buildings are today Grade II listed.
In this view a set of weighing scales is visible beside the left-hand bay of the pub, their purpose unclear.