This image can be used commercially
Hassop Hall, Hassop, c 1930s ?
From collection of F H Brindley
Brindley, F H (Sheffield and District News Pictures, 973 Abbeydale Road)
c 1930s ?
About this image
Looking north. By 2016 Hassop Hall had become a country house hotel.
The following account is taken from www.peakdistrictvillages.co.uk: 'The Estate of Hassop has the most fascinating and interesting history, having passed through only six families in its 900 year history. On occasion though there have been disputes as to its true ownership. In one dispute legend has it that a talking beech tree supposedly pronounced that it would not be quiet until the authentic heir took over the Hassop Estate! In the early 1880Æs Gladwin Cloves Cave travelled from Australia and took forcible possession of Hassop Hall, his claim was based on the validity of a will written by Dorothy Leslie, nee Eyre on her deathbed. The Courts went against him though and he was evicted.
In the Civil War Hassop Hall was a garrison for the Royalist troops when Colonel Thomas Eyre, the then owner, raised an army of soldiers and fought hand-in-hand with Cromwell at Edgehill. He was distinguished in battle at Welbeck and the siege at Newark before going on to fight at Naseby. He was taken prisoner near Derby and died in 1645 of his wounds and neglect whilst being held prisoner at Derby gaol.
The Hassop Estate was first recorded as belonging to the Foljambes. In 1399 in the reign of Richard II, an infant heiress of the Hassop Estate became a ward of the King and was sold to Sir John Leake before being sold again for a profit to Sir William Plumpton. When only a year old her future marriage was arranged with his son! In 1498 the Estate was bought by a member of the Eyre family of Padley, their memorials can be seen in nearby Great Longstone church. In 1580 the house itself was greatly enlarged and a tax assessment of 1670 rated the house on 20 hearths. Some of this early building remains, but the majority of the Hall was rebuilt in 1774 using profits from the local lead mines owned by the Eyre family. It was altered again in 1827. In 1852 Hassop passed to the aforementioned Dorothy Leslie but she died a year later and it then came into the ownership of her husband Colonel Charles Leslie. In 1919 Hassop Hall was bought by Colonel H. K. Stephenson but then sold again in 1975 to Thomas H Chapman who converted it into the country house hotel that it remains to this day.
Impressive wrought iron gates mark the entrance of the drive to Hassop Hall which were designed by John Gardom of Baslow.'