This image can be used commercially
Entrance to Peak Cavern, Castleton, c 1930s ?
From collection of F H Brindley
Brindley, F H (Sheffield News Pictures, 973 Abbeydale Road, Millhouses)
c 1930s ?
About this image
The interior of Peak Cavern showing the ropeworks. Rope was made here from the 17th century for the local lead mining industry and is still demonstrated today (2016).
The cavern, which is almost entirely natural, was earlier known as The Devil's Arse but was renamed in 1880 to avoid giving offence to Queen Victoria. More recently, the original name has been restored.
This is a postcard, seemingly published by the photographer.