This image can be used commercially
Snow scene at the junction with Doctors Gate, Snake Pass, c 1940s ?
From collection of F H Brindley
Brindley, F H (Sheffield and District News Pictures, 973 Abbeydale Road)
c 1940s ?
Doctors Gate Culvert
About this image
A group of hardy walkers photographed at Doctors Gate Culvert on the A57 Snake Road. The latter links Sheffield with Manchester via Glossop and is frequently blocked by snow. The highest portion of the road is the Snake Pass (512 metres or 1,680 feet above sea level) and Doctors Gate Culvert marks the eastern extremity of this section; below this point the road descends down Lady Clough towards Ashopton and Ladybower.
The Culvert takes its name from Doctors Gate which is believed to have been a Roman road linking the forts at Melandra Castle, Gamesley and Navio at Brough, near Hope. While the present day Snake Road follows a section for some miles south of the Culvert, westwards the old road is reduced to a bridleway on its 4-mile descent into Old Glossop.
The cast iron sign is one of those provided by the Peak District & Northern Counties Footpaths Preservation Society, an organisation founded in Manchester in 1894 but with roots going back to to The Manchester Association for the Preservation of Ancient Public Footpaths of 1826. Each of its signs was numbered and dated and although the number on this one cannot be deciphered from the photo, it appears to be dated 1925. The inscription reads 'Doctors Gate, Roman Road to Glossop, Leave No Litter'. Many of these signs have survived into the 21st century, but this one is an exception and is no longer in situ. The organisation itself - restyled as The Peak & Northern Footpaths Society - was still active in 2015, being the oldest regional footpath society in the UK.
F H Brindley titled the picture somewhat imprecisely - but no doubt with an eye to getting it published - 'On Kinder Scout in Winter, Derbyshire.' In fact, strictly speaking the Snake Pass occupies the neck of land situated in-between the Kinder plateau to the south and that of Bleaklow to the north.