This image can be used commercially
High Peak Hunt, Flagg, 1948
From collection of F H Brindley
Brindley, F H (Sheffield News Pictures, 973 Abbeydale Road, Millhouses)
9 October 1948
About this image
The original caption for this image reads: 'Autumn Sunshine Oct 9/48. Opening 'Meet' - High Peak Hunt at Flagg, Derbyshire.'
The view is looking east along Main Road with the grounds of Flagg Hall to the left. Riding just behind the hounds and wearing top hats are the Misses Wilson of Bakewell, newly appointed Masters of the Hunt at the date of this picture (see also PTPD300077 and PTPD300085). A good selection of motor vehicles are present parked on the roadside verges - that nearest the camera (CEW 208) was not local, having been registered in Huntingdonshire, perhaps suggesting its owner had travelled from afar in order to take part in the meet.
Quite how the photographer achieved this degree of elevation is uncertain, but the most likely explanation is that he was on the top deck of a double-decker bus.
The High Peak Hunt was formed in 1848 by a Mr Thornhill of Stanton-in-the-Peak - its territory covers the Peakland country between Bakewell, Buxton and Ashbourne.