This image can be used commercially
Gathering hay, unknown location, c 1943 ?
From collection of F H Brindley
Brindley, F H (Sheffield and District News Pictures, 973 Abbeydale Road)
c 1943 ?
About this image
The photographer captioned this view for the benefit of the local press: 'Corn replaces 'Hay' (and Power replaces Horse) ... (Gov[ernment] to Plow [sic] over 1 Million more acres in 1943)', but provided no clue as to the location.
His picture appears to show a cart heavily laden with hay and hauled by a 'modern' tractor instead of a horse. The reference to corn probably relates to the Government's campaign to increase food production during the Second World War by ploughing up hay meadows and other previously non-arable land. However, the 1943 date may be spurious - it could well have been taken the previous year or be a 'stock' photo from even earlier that he used to make the point.
So far the location has defied identification. In the background there is a railway line running in a cutting. Almost hidden immediately to the left of the cart is a semaphore signal, which will be controlled from the signal box visible at extreme right. Between the two is an overbridge comprising a plate girder deck supported on stone abutments; it probably carries a road rather than simply a field access as there seem to be posts carrying telephone wires alongside. The somewhat taller telegraph poles flanking the railway sport no less than nine arms, hinting that this was almost certainly a busy location, rather than a minor branch line.
The signal box is of Great Central Railway design and given the photographer's Sheffield base, it was most likely taken somewhere in that area. Does anyone recognise the railway infrastructure?