This image can be used commercially
Roadside trough providing water for the Sheffield Clarion Clubhouse, Hathersage Road, Dore, South Yo
From collection of F H Brindley
Brindley, F H (Sheffield and District News Pictures, 973 Abbeydale Road)
c 1940s ?
About this image
A man filling two bins with water from a roadside horse trough during a period of drought. The trough was situated on the west side of Hathersage Road just north of the junction with Whitelow Lane and was fed by a spring on Houndkirk Moor.
The photographer titled this view 'Water Shortage again bad in North Derbyshire', adding 'This snap taken in North Derbyshire only 6 miles from Sheffield but inside Sheffield area shows the only drinking supply of residents of Clarion Huts, Dore who use this dry horse trough by the side of Main road - still used by passing traffic. Yet Sheffield can sell Rotherham and other towns water, but this man lives in the Clarion Huts and pays Sheffield Rates too.'
The 'Clarion Huts' were erected on Dore Moor in 1920 and comprised three seperate timber structures joined together to form a club house for the Sheffield Clarion Fellowship, which included cycling and rambling amongst its widespread activities.
The Clarion movement, which espoused socialist ideals without being aligned to any political party, originated with the establishment of The Clarion newspaper in Manchester in 1891. As one facet of the early Labour movement, its philosophy was that in order to achieve socialism, it was necessary to make socialists (i.e. 'people who are collectively responsible and will work together for the common good') as opposed to the parliamentary approach, which involved obtaining power and then changing things.
The date of this photo is uncertain but is probably from the 1940s or 'fifties. The man depicted may well be the club steward, who was a Mr Coldwell in the 1940s and possibly up to 1955 when a Mr and Mrs Mears took over.
Although the photographer made a point of highlighting drought conditions, in fact this was the normal water supply for the 'Clarion huts'. As such it was not particularly convenient, being some way from the club house, which was situated a good quarter of a mile to the north opposite the junction with Sheephill Lane. In order to transport the water the two bins shown here were placed on a barrow - it was perhaps fortunate that it was downhill going back to the 'huts'.
The club house closed in 1975 and both it and the trough have now disappeared.