This image can be used commercially
Barbrook Reservoir during drought, Owler Bar, 1933
From collection of F H Brindley
Brindley, F H (Sheffield and District News Pictures, 973 Abbeydale Road)
About this image
Looking south-east with the bridge spanning the overflow in the background.
Barbrook Reservoir (sometimes known as Owler Bar Dam) on Big Moor was owned by Chesterfield Rural District Council at this date, having originated in the early 1880s. Around 1910 a new dam wall was constructed to encompass some 30 acres with a capacity of 100 million gallons and a maximum depth of 34 feet. The reservoir ceased to be used for water supply in the mid-1970s and about 2003 it was formally 'discontinued' on safety grounds with the dam wall breached so that it could no longer hold water.
The photographer titled this view 'The Drought, 1933', adding 'Owler Bar Dam dry which is one of Chesterfield's drinking water supplies.'