About this image
Earl Howe laid the first stone of St. Stephen's Church, a neat building, comprising a nave, small aspidal chancel, and a bell turret at the south-west corner. St Stephen's church is built in the Norman style with stones quarried near to its site. The church was consecrated December 8th, 1846, and contains 350 sittings. Some of the windows contain medallions of stained glass, and the interior is appropriately fitted up, and seated with open benches. The Incorporated Society gave £250 towards the building fund, and the remainder was raised by subscription.