This image cannot be used commercially
Memorial Chapel, High Street, Eckington, c 1973-77
About this image
This non-conformist (Wesleyan) chapel was built by the Wells family. It was built in a neo-classical style in 1875. After the chapel closed it was used as 'Penny Hydraulics, owned by Mr John Penny of Stead Street. Eckington Preservation Group tried to get the building 'Listed', but were unsuccessful. The front of this architecturally interesting building, with its ornate Corinthian capitals and polished stone columns, entablature with dental cornice, portico and parapet was sadly demolished in 1977, the remainder of the building has been renovated and is no longer a church.