About this image
Standing at 650 feet above sea level close to the original road to Chesterfield (Highgate Lane) this large seventeenth century yeoman farmer's house is one of the most commanding in the district. In the Middle Ages this Hallowes estate was owned by the Seliokes of Hazelbarrow, Norton but that family eventually fell on hard times and during the seventeenth century Hallowes was bought by the wealthy lead merchant Andrew Morewood, at the same time that he purchased the adjacent Fallswood estate (with land on the north-facing slope down to the River Drone in the area of the present Hallowes Rise and Moorgate Crescent). Morewood built the house we see today in 1657, in a typically mid-seventeenth century style using locally quarried coal measure sandstone. It has three storeys with well proportioned gables adorning the south front. Like many contemporary large houses in the district it is built on the H plan. Perhaps its major attraction is the multitude of mullioned windows, all tied together with uninterrupted string courses. The former barn to the east was undoubtedly of cruck construction but much modified when stone walls and slate roof replaced the timber and thatch of the original. There is evidence of the re-use of the original cruck timbers in the barn's present roof; and two upper cruck trusses remain in the roof of the main house. Over the south doorway are carved the initials of Andrew Morewood and his wife, Mary Spencer of Attercliffe, and the date the house was erected. Over the north doorway is the elaborately carved coat of arms of Lathom impaling Morewood - one of Morewood's daughters became the second wife of John Lathom and she, as part of her dowry, brought Hallowes to her husband. When Lathom's daughter married George Mower of Barlow Woodseats (her cousin) in 1709 she caused the Hallowes and Fallswood estates to come to the Mowers. They let Hallowes to a series of tenants, the last of which was W. Johnson. It was certainly good for Hallowes and the Dronfield district generally that the Hallowes Golf Club acquired the property in September, 1923. The grand house has been saved and is in fine condition, its broad acres remain inviolate in a place where they would otherwise surely have been built over by now. In 1934 the large, single storey dining room was added to the western end of the house. It integrates well with the original, largely because the stone used came from the high garden wall that used to obscure the view of the house from the public road. The other attractive feature of this south side is the seventeenth century gazebo beside the path to the locker room. Most large houses of the same period would originally have had a similar garden adornment but this one at Hallowes is one of few remaining in the district. Hallowes is a Grade II listed building.