About this image
In Pigot's Commercial Directory of Derbyshire 1835, Southgate house was the home of a John Bruno Boden, esq. The house has unusual features of jettied stones which protrude from the upper storey (these were perhaps supports for an earlier thatched roof). The original mullion windows are set into stone reveals and the front corners are supported by large stone quoins. The gables on all sided have been altered at some time, indicated by the stepped (brick?) stonework, possibly done at the time when the thatched roof was removed. (See DCNE000431 for another old building with a thatched roof on Southgate). The low building attached to the rear of the house was once used as a shoe repair shop. The house has been renovated and now in a conservation area.