Langwith Junction Station, officially designated Shirebrook North for Langwith, c 1910s
About this image
The Lancashire, Derbyshire & East Coast Railway (LDECR) built this station and nearby engine shed on a greenfield site in the 1890s. It was the junction of their main line to Chesterfield Market Place (straight ahead on the photo) and the Beighton Branch (through a cutting middle right in the distance heading for Sheffield.) The local communities were (and still are) Langwith Basset, Upper Langwith and Nether Langwith, so the company followed suit and named the station, the shed and the community which grew up around it "Langwith Junction." The shed remained "Langwith Junction" until it closed on 6 Feb 1966 and the community still is "Langwith Junction". The LDECR was in financial trouble and was bought out by the Great Central Railway (GCR) on 1 Jan 1907. It, in turn, was amalgamated with other railways to form the LNER in 1923. On 2 June 1924 the LNER renamed the station from Langwith Junction to "Shirebrook North", despite it not being in Shirebrook. The station nameboards were replaced with "Shirebrook North for Langwith" for the rest of its days. Passenger services over the Beighton Branch ended at the outbreak of WW2 and the main line to Chesterfield MP closed in Dec 1951, primarily due to the condition of Bolsover Tunnel. Passenger services to Lincoln (behind the camera) ended in Sep 1955, after which only Summer Holday trains to places such as Skegness called, until they finally petered out in Sept 1964. Passengers were never Langwith Junction's big thing, freight, freight and more freight, especially coal, was always the main dish. The station site was finally bypassed from 11 Nov 1974 when a new connection was built east of the station between the main line and what is now the Robin Hood Line. The only remnant is a single track to Davis's Wagon Works which is next to the site of the engine shed. (Information very kindly supplied by David Hull).