This image cannot be used commercially
St Luke's Church, Shireoaks
A P Knighton
Shireoaks, near Worksop
About this image
The foundation stone was laid by the then Prince of Wales, later to become Edward VII, on St. Luke's day, 18th October 1861. A previous chapel at Shireoaks (erected early 1800's) was turned into a schoolroom at that time. The church formed into a parish in 1865 from the parishes of Worksop (Notts) and Anston-cum-Membris (Yorks). The Spire was demolished in 1973. Now a Grade II listed building, a Heritage Lottery Grant has been awarded (February 2000) to fund urgent repairs.