This image cannot be used commercially
Claypole old bridge
A P Knighton
About this image
The bridge carries Shire Lane over the River Witham. This stone bridge dating from c 1350 had two pointed arches, each with four ribs and the river bed was stone paved beneath to allow the smooth through-flow of water. The parapet had a bold cove moulding at the top, and above the piers were the usual medieval 'V' shaped refuges for people to take shelter when crossing at the same time as wagons or herds of animals. It had steps at the side leading down to the water. It was sadly demolished in 1905.