About this image
Now in Sheffield Norton was a Derbyshire parish until 1934.
Information taken from www.gravespark.org:
History of Graves Park
Samuel Shore rebuilt Norton Hall and is credited as being responsible for greatly extending and opening out the grounds around the house, forming the estate into a landscape of beautiful parkland.
The Norton Estate remained with the Shores until 1843, when the then Lord of the Manor, Offley Shore, was forced to dispose of the Estate, owing to the failure of his bank. The next resident at Norton Hall was James Yates who came, not as Lord of the Manor, but as a tenant. The sale by auction of the Shore Estate in 1850, received no bid, but was eventually secured by Charles Cammell.
The Cammells were followed by John Sudbury who sold the Estate to W.F. Goodliffe and in turn it was sold to Bernard Alexander Firth in 1902.
1925 saw the most significant change in the ownership of the land. 112 acres (including Norton Hall) were purchased on behalf of the Sheffield Voluntary Hospitals, from Bernard Firth, who at the same time presented some 7 1/2 acres of land as a gift to the hospitals. In the same year 154 acres of the Estate were purchased by Councilor and Mrs. J.G. Graves, and presented to the Corporation as a gift to the City of Sheffield, for use as a public park. At three times the size of Norfolk Park, this new public ground, which the Corporation named 'Graves Park" was the largest in Sheffield. Its location on the peripheries of Sheffield, yet within the city boundaries and bordered by the hospital site, was considered to be ideal. It would fulfill the dual purpose of providing the people of Sheffield with a fine sports and recreational space, while simultaneously protecting the land surrounding the hospital from pollution or development. The boundary of the new park ran along Hemsworth and Cobnar Roads then down Meadowhead as far as the lodge leading up to the hospital site, to which the park joined beyond Norton Church.