About this image
Main Street looking east with the Chequers Inn on the left and the wall of St Michael's churchyard to the right. Beyond the wall is the village school, established as a National School in 1837 and enlarged by the addition of an 'infants' room' in 1887. Another of the village's public houses - the Bull's Head Inn - can be seen in the distance.
A comparison in 2011, nearly a century after this view was taken, indicated that the scene was still substantially the same, although the churchyard had lost its railings (removed in 1943 as part of the wartime scrap drive) and the school was now St Michael's Church Hall. Likewise, the Bull's Head was no longer visible from this vantage point, the portion seen here having been demolished, seemingly to allow for road widening, probably in the 1930s.
Derby-based postcard publisher F W Scarratt took this photo but its original number in his series has not been verified. However, numbers 772-777 were a series taken at Breaston and of these 773 and 776 have not been accounted for. Their date is circa 1913, which seems about right.