This image can be used commercially
Chapel Lane, Clifton, Derbyshire, c 1930 ?
Scarratt, F W
c 1930 ?
About this image
Looking north-east along Chapel Lane with the village war memorial in the distance at the junction with Church View. In front of this is the photographer's Bullnose Morris Cowley motor car and above that the bell turret of Holy Trinity Church can be discerned. The large building on the left behind the high brick wall is Clifton House. Although not obvious, due to the absence of any traffic, at the time of this view Chapel Lane formed part of the main road from Ashbourne to Sudbury and thence southwards to Lichfield (the A515).
By 2011 little had altered here, although the wall fronting Clifton House had been largely removed with new houses built in the onetime garden. Through traffic no longer traversed Chapel Lane, a bypass having been constructed to the east of the village in the 1960s or early 'seventies.
This photo was taken by Derby-based postcard publisher F W Scarratt but the number he allocated it in his series is not known. However, Scarratt took at least one picture (number 1429) in Clifton about 1930 and it is possible this is contemporary with that, in which case it could fall in the number ranges 1426-28 or 1430-35.