This image can be used commercially
High Street, Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire, c 1909 ?
Scarratt, F W
c 1909 ?
About this image
Looking north-east along High Street from near the Market Place with a Burton Corporation electric tram heading away from the camera towards the junction (left) with Station Street. It has arrived on a service from Branston Road, this being one of four routes making up the Burton system, the others serving Horninglow, Winshill and Stapenhill. The trams commenced running in 1903 and lasted until replaced by motor buses in 1929.
To the right is the George Hotel, while the photographer's Douglas motorcycle (registration R 711) is parked by the kerb on the left; the other motorcyclist alongside may be the photographer's brother, Albert Scarratt.
Derby-based postcard publisher F W Scarratt took this photo and its serial number may be 308, although this has not been confirmed.