This image can be used commercially
Cock Hill, Clifton, Derbyshire, c 1930 ?
Scarratt, F W
c 1930 ?
About this image
Looking west up Cock Hill with the single storey village post office (in earlier times the local smithy) on the right. The hanging sign indicates a Post Office Public Telephone is available here, while Cadbury's Chocolates are advertised in the shop window, the upper part of which is occupied by jars of sweets. Although not obvious, due to the absence of any traffic, at the time of this view Cock Hill formed part of the main road from Ashbourne to Sudbury and thence southwards to Lichfield (the A515).
By 2011 the post office had been closed and demolished to make way for the driveway to a new semi-detached dwelling (bearing a 2009 datestone), but the remainder of the buildings seen here still survived. Through traffic no longer traversed Cock Hill, a bypass having been constructed to the east of the village in the 1960s or early 'seventies.
This photo was taken by Derby-based postcard publisher F W Scarratt but the number he allocated it in his series is not known. However, Scarratt took at least one picture (number 1429) in Clifton about 1930 and it is possible this is contemporary with that, in which case it could fall in the number ranges 1426-28 or 1430-35.