This image can be used commercially
Horninglow Street, Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire, c 1927
Scarratt, F W
About this image
Horninglow Street looking east towards Trent Bridge. Burton Corporation's electric tramway system is still operating and a tram can be seen dimly behind the nearest traction standard, heading out of town to either Winshill or Stapenhill. However, indicative of changes to come, a motley collection of single deck motor buses are parked (or waiting to turn into High Street) in the middle of the road and straddling the tracks: the trams would cease running for good at the end of 1929.
Of the buses, the leading vehicle belongs to Messrs Tailby and George who traded as Blue Bus Services, an operation that went on to have a long history before being taken over by Derby Corporation in 1973. The bus is NU 6959, a 28-seat Halley with bodywork by Smith of Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, new in July 1925 and withdrawn in June 1929. It carries blue and cream livery and has 'Derby Repton Burton' applied to the waist rail. Although documented as fleet number HY1, it appears to be carrying the number 173.
The second vehicle is smaller and has 'Victoria' on the side but nothing further is known. The nearest bus is a red and maroon liveried Trent SOS type and carries a Derby-Burton destination board. The SOS (or S Type) was developed by Midland Red as their standard bus design and Trent acquired 57 of them during the years 1925-27 of which this will be one.
Evidence of Burton's brewing industry is also apparent with two large advertisements for Bass and a Marston's lorry in the distance. The large bracket lamp in the left foreground belongs to The Bear Inn.
Derby-based postcard publisher F W Scarratt took this photo and allocated it the number 1336 in his series.