This image can be used commercially
Main Street, Etwall, c 1914 ?
Scarratt, F W
c 1914 ?
About this image
Looking south along Main Street from the junction with Church Hill. The building with the Dutch gables on the left was then the village post office and the hanging sign advises of the existence of a 'Post Office Telephone' within. Further on, the horse and dray are turning into Willington Road and just visible beyond that is the frontage of the Spread Eagle Inn.
To the right the steps, gate and globe-shaped gas lamp on a barley twist column form the access to St Helen's Church. Out of sight opposite Willington Road are the twin lodges and entrance gates to Etwall Hall, the brick wall beside the road in the distance enclosing the small area of parkland surrounding the Hall.
Main Street later became part of the A516 linking Derby with Hatton where it joined the A50 to reach Uttoxeter and the Potteries. The road looks relatively busy here, but later became much more so, until relief finally arrived in 1992 with the opening of a bypass.
A century after the date of this view all of the buildings shown were still extant, although at some date prior to 1970 the post office had moved round the corner into premises on Willington Road, leaving the earlier building as a private house. However, to the right of the road Etwall Hall was demolished in 1955 to make way for John Port School (built with separate Grammar and Secondary Modern portions but later merged to form one Comprehensive establishment), removal of the boundary wall allowing both construction of a bus park for the school and the highway to be widened to cope with the ever increasing amount of traffic passing through the village.
Derby-based postcard publisher F W Scarratt took this photo but it is not known what number he allocated it in his series. His Douglas motorcycle can be seen parked in front of the post office.