This image can be used commercially
Penny Long Lane, Darley Abbey, Derby, 1920s ?
Scarratt, F W
Penny Long Lane
About this image
A view looking south-westwards down Penny Long Lane towards Kedleston Road. The photographer has included both his dog Toby and his Bullnose Morris Cowley car in the picture.
Penny Long Lane was originally a very minor road that followed a sinuous course to connect Duffield Road at Darley Abbey with Kedleston Road at Markeaton. However, great changes came about in the early 1930s with construction of the the Broadway section of Derby's (Outer) Ring Road. This took over both the easternmost and westernmost portions of Penny Long Lane, transforming them into a wide (albeit single carriageway), tree-lined boulevard. The central and least direct section was bypassed by a length on a brand new alignment, leaving it as something of a backwater, serving a few houses. Part of this portion is seen here, although the advent of Broadway was probably a few years in the future when this view was taken. The car is parked in the rear entrance to Leylands, a large house built for Alderman William Leaper Newton about 1820.
In 2012 this scene was still recognisable, although the house on the left had lost its porch and been otherwise modernised.
Derby-based postcard publisher F W Scarratt took this photo but it is not known what number it was allocated in his series.