This image cannot be used commercially
St Mary's Church, Ilkeston, pre-1910
About this image
The interior of St Mary's Church, Ilkeston looking from the nave into the chancel and showing the pulpit, screen, altar and east window. The position adopted by the photographer suggests that this view was taken prior to 1910 in which year the length of the nave was doubled from 3 bays to 6 bays and the tower rebuilt further west as a result. Prior to this the church had undergone a major reconstruction in the Gothic style by T. L. Walker in 1855, but surviving earlier elements are visible here. The three circular piers on the right are c1200, while their octagonal counterparts on the left are 14th century, as is the screen. The latter was described by the renowned architectural historian Nikolaus Pevsner as "Remarkable ... each division of one light only with a cusped ogee arch and a large quatrefoil in each spandrel. Very light and transparent".