About this image
An interior view of the Council Chamber at Ilkeston Town Hall. The Town Hall was constructed at the behest of the Local Board of Health between 1866 and 1868 in Italianate style to a design by the Nottingham architect Charles Sutton. At its inception the room shown here was described thus: "On the upper storey a large room 60 feet by 30 feet is provided, with retiring rooms, etc, for the magistrates' meetings, and will also be used as a hall for public purpose". Subsequently, it was additionally the venue for "elections, political gatherings, bazaars, concerts, balls, teas, banquets, theatrical productions, lectures and other functions". In 2012 the original ceiling, which in recent times had been hidden from view by a lower suspended version, was fully restored by Erewash Borough Council. The building is listed Grade 2 (listed 1986).