This image can be used commercially
Mr Harrison's Sunday School, New Smithy, Chinley, c 1930s ?
From the late Alan Watson
c 1930s ?
About this image
Mainly because of the interest shown and the number of scholars, Mr. Harrison, a devour methodist and a great benefactor to the community had this Sunday School built twenty five years later at his own expense.
In 1868 the young mens' class numbered thirty six and the ladies thirty eight and by 1883 there were 145 named scholars on the register. Strict rules regarding attendance had to be observed.
1858 saw the establishment of a day school costing between four and nine pence per week, according to the age of the scholars.
Mr. Harrison, being the benefactor he was, paid for eight children whose parents were too poor to pay the money. Others in the district did likewise.
The same year saw the introduction of a library in the school, possibly the first in the district.