This image can be used commercially
St Mary's Church, Off Mill Road, Cromford, 1890s
Off Mill Road
About this image
Photograph copied from old album in January 1993, re-copied from print 2008.
St Marys church lies just below the mill, was built in 1797, and contains Richard Arkwrights tomb. Richard Arkwright designed, built and owned St Mary.
There had been a chapel on the site since at least 1504, probably much earlier. Arkwright had this demolished, as it was now in a rundown state. Work on a new church, intended as a family chapel, was begun shortly before his death in 1792. The church opened for services on 4 June 1797 and was consecrated on 20 September that year.
Arkwright's son Richard later opened it up for public use.