About this image
Orme Shield Winners.
Back row, from left to right: Chris Whitworth, Peter Shimwell, John Frankland, Brett Ellis, David Harrison, Ray Holmes.
Front row, from left to right: Tom Marvin, Jason Rowland, Peter Rotheram, Chris Barnes, David Chapman.
1990 was a very successful season winning the Orme Shield, the Longstone Cup, and the Longstone League.
The club had a pool of twenty players who all played a part in the seasonÆs success.
The club has won the Orme Shield six times: 1960, 1961, 1963, 1980, 1983, 1990.
In about 1860 cricket started to be played in Great Longstone. The first secretary was George Ward at about this time. This is mentioned in The Longstone Records by G T Wight in 1904; in the book there is a photo of a Junior team dated 1884. This book is now very rare but it is accepted that the club was permanently formed in 1874, and has played continually since then, except the war years, up to the present day.
The Wards played a large part in the club over the years as players and benefactors.On the 29th September 1921 George James Furness donated the playing field and on 1st March 1961 Charles George Ward donated more ground. In 2006 Mary Ward bequeathed money which was used to extend the pavilion.